What is the Warm Home Discount?
The Warm Home Discount is a scheme providing eligible households with a £140 electricity bill discount for winter 2018-19. This discount is available to credit and pre-payment customers, providing your supplier is part of the scheme and you meet their eligibility criteria. The scheme is open to applications now and it is worth applying early to ensure you get it.
Who is eligible?
There is a Core Group who are automatically eligible and don’t need to apply. These are householders who were receiving Guaranteed Pension Credit on 8th July 2018. If you decide to switch energy supplier after this date and before you receive the Warm Home Discount, you should expect it from your previous supplier. However, if you have been awarded Guaranteed Pension Credit after the 8th of July 2018 then you will need to apply for the Warm Home Discount yourself.
If you don’t meet the criteria for the Core Group you may be eligible under the Broader Group and will also need to apply yourself. Eligibility criteria varies slightly between energy suppliers but is usually based on low income, means tested benefits and a vulnerability in the household e.g. disability or child under 5. You can check the individual eligibility criteria with your energy supplier or by clicking the links below. If you apply but then decide to switch before you receive the Warm Home Discount, you will need to reapply with your new supplier.
Which suppliers are part of the scheme?
- Bristol Energy*
- British Gas (including Sainsbury’s Energy and Scottish Gas)
- Bulb Energy
- Co-operative Energy (including GB Energy)
- Economy Energy
- EDF Energy
- First Utility
- Flow Energy
- Green Star / Hudson*
- Npower (including Powershop)
- Our Power*
- OVO (including Boost and Lumo)
- Robin Hood Energy* (including Angelic Energy, CitizEn Energy, Ebico, Great North Energy, Liverpool Community Company (LECCy), Ram Energy, White Rose Energy and Your Energy Sussex)
- Scottish Power (including Manweb)
- Spark Energy
- SSE (including Atlantic, M&S Energy, Southern Electric, Scottish Hydro and SWALEC)
- Utilita – closed
- Utility Warehouse
* The energy companies indicated with the asterisk only offer the Warm Home Discount to the Core Group.
How to apply?
You need to apply directly with your energy supplier, you can find their contact details through the website links above. Depending on the supplier you can apply online, by phone or by post.
If you have any further questions about the Warm Home Discount or would like more advice about reducing your bills and keeping warm you can phone us on Freephone 0800 804 8601.