Patrick was referred for Southampton Healthy Homes help by Citizens Advice Southampton, who are partners in the project. Their combi boiler was broken and had been condemned, because there was a suspected gas leak from the pipework, leaving them without heating or hot water. Patrick lives with his wife and two sons, and had just been made redundant so had no income. Patrick’s wife receives disability benefits due to a visual impairment and back problems. They weren’t eligible for help from the national energy supplier scheme and were unable to afford the boiler repairs themselves.
Patrick had already got a quote for repairing the boiler and replacing pipework to see how much it would be, but with such a limited income they didn’t know how they would cover the cost. The Southampton Healthy Homes advisors went to visit the same week, and were able to approve a grant to fund the full amount, so the work was booked in and the boiler fixed within two weeks. The advisors were also able to find a small grant for Patrick to cover the cost of extra electricity usage while the boiler was broken.
“If we hadn’t got help we would still be without hot water, and with four people in the house and being ill that was difficult. The advisors we saw were very helpful and gave us information on other help that we could get. Even the people who came to fix the boiler were very good.”
If you or someone you know is in a similar situation, please call the Environment Centre (tEC) on Freephone 0800 804 8601 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to an advisor.