Located in Somerset, The Old Apple Store, built by Ecos Homes in contract with Pippin Properties Ltd, is a number of residential properties built to meet Level 5 (Code for Sustainable Homes). The project contains 5 units containing 2 four-bedroom houses and 3 three-bedroom units.
Renewable Technologies Employed:
- Passive solar design strategies.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- More environmentally friendly materials used.
- Recycled newspaper was used as insulation between the timber studs and woodfibre boards made the external insulation. Sheep's wool insulation was used for the inter-floor insulation. The high levels of insulation along with low-air permeability leads to more heat efficiency.
- The site was constructed using thermal efficient timber.
- The beams of the construction were filled with recycled newspaper insulation and an internal vapour control layer.
- Foam insulation was also used under the ground floor.
- PV cell array.
- Solar thermal water heating.
- Low energy lighting.
- Wood pellet boilers.