As the weather starts to get colder and clients may be struggling to stay warm and well, we would like to remind support services across Hampshire about the Hitting the Cold Spots service and the help we can offer.
The Hitting the Cold Spots service 2016-17*:
- Home visits from a Hitting the Cold Spots adviser offering advice and practical support.
- Support with alternative heating measures (electric oil filled radiators) if household is without heating.
- Help to access funding, where available, for boiler repairs and replacements. Delivered through trusted ‘Buy With Confidence’ contractors.
- Access to small grant support to help cope with winter fuel emergencies.
- Eligibility check for the Warm Home Discount and local energy efficiency schemes.
- Assistance to switch energy provider or tariff to help save money on household fuel bills.
- Signposting and referrals to other organisations, such as: benefits and debt advice, home safety visits and healthy living services.
Visit the project webpage for more details on this offer.
Eligibility for the service is assessed on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration tenure type, financial circumstances, ill-health and other household vulnerabilities e.g. age, disability and young children.
Already this year the Hitting the Cold Spots team have been busy working with over 70 eligible households to make essential heating and/or hot water upgrades and to install first time central heating. Hampshire residents have also received advice about tariff switching and have been referred to other services for further help.
We’ve received excellent feedback from clients we’ve recently supported:
To make a referral to the service you can call Freephone 0800 804 8601 (Mon-Fri 9-5) or email email@example.com. We will take further details about the client (please ensure you have permission to share client details) and discuss how we may be able to help. If you think it would be beneficial to your client, we can arrange joint visits, and we can keep you updated on the outcomes of our support.
If you want to find out more about Hitting the Cold Spots, we can also*:
- Attend team meetings to speak to staff or volunteers about how we can help clients.
- Train front-line staff on recognising the signs of fuel poverty and the support available to help clients stay warm and well.
- Visit community events and meetings to give energy advice to clients and take referrals for the service.
- Provide leaflets for you to promote Hitting the Cold Spots to clients.
Please feel free to circulate this information on to colleagues, clients, friends or family members who you think might benefit from the service.
*Some of the above services are subject to availability and conditions apply.